St. Michael’s Gaelic Football Club, was founded in 1951, after a meeting in the Leaping Salmon in Blackrock Village.
The hurlers who had played with the Blackrock Hurling club or other young people in the area, who were footballers had no local team to play football with, so in order to provide an outlet it was decided to organise a football club.
The first officers of the club were President; Willie Walsh, Vice President; Michael O’Leary, Chairman; Donal Kelly, Vice Chairman; Tadhg Delaney, Secretary; Jim Morrissey, Asst Secretary; Pat Healy, and Treasurer; Michael Hayes. Crosshaven’s junior footballers provided the opposition in the club’s very first game and the team was captained that day by Jimmy Furlong.
It has indeed become a story of triumph and heartbreak for the club when success at minor and under 21, brought about appearances in three senior county finals in the 70s ( 1976, 1977 and 1978.). Two Kelleher Shields for the football league were won in those years showing the remarkable football ability of the club.
St. Michael’s currently play in the Premier Intermediate Championship, reaching several finals in recent years, losing narrowly each time to St Vincent’s, Carrigaline, Mallow, Fermoy and Eire Og. However, the quest goes on and the club has gained immense respect for their sportsmanship and their ongoing brave efforts to get to the senior football grade.
The club’s roll of honour includes two intermediate football championships (1969 and 1998), and one junior football championship (1956). Currently the reigning Cork Junior B, U21 and U16 champions, Michael’s have also won 5 Premier Minor Championships (the latest in 2018), 6 Feile County Championships (latest in 2009), four U14 Championships (latest in 2008), and three U12 Championships (latest in 2008).
A large increase in playing numbers in the recent decades, encouraged the club to seek a base of its own. With the availability of land on the harbour side of Ringmahon Road following the Tunnel development, the new HQ of St. Michael’s in Mahon became a reality when three playing fields (one a hurling field used by Blackrock Hurling Club), were developed along with a brand new complex with dressing and meeting rooms.
Notable players for Michael’s include Tommy Furlong, Billy Field, Ray Cummins, Jimmy Brohan, Damien Delaney, David Dempsey and Ken O’Connell. Dual star Ray Cummins was the club’s most famous player who won the All Ireland Football Championship in 1973, with Cork and was selected on the Cork Football Team of the Century (1884-1984) and the Cork Team of the Millennium.
Known as the Dazzlers, St Michael’s focuses on the development of young players and training for youngsters from 5 years old (currently subject to Covid regulations) was normally held on Sunday mornings. You can check out their Facebook page for further details.